Monogrammed Market Tote

Like every other mom with an eye for the environmental future, I seem to have unwittingly built up an armory of recyclable shopping bags well beyond my actual needs.  I have large ones, small ones, some made of recycled plastic bottles, some of vinyl, some of canvas.  While I do use one or two every day for everything from toys to groceries to diapers to a last-chance change of clothes and a few wipes while out on the road(essential, btw...), the fact is that if I was to fill up every one of my bags on a single trip I'd need a military convoy to carry everything home. No one needs that much stuff. But every mom needs a tote. So I'm looking to downsize my own collection and hand off some convenient carrying-capacity to a new mom in need.  This particular re-constituted tote I made for a friend of mine who just had her first baby boy 3 months ago (okay, okay, I run late...).  His name is Niko so I thought a big "N" would get him on the letter train early.  I dabbled with the idea of an animal that started with the letter "N", like maybe a newt or a narwhal, but I let Grippy choose which animal went on the bag instead. Obviously he chose an octopus. Who wouldn't?! O is so close to N, and so much more fun.  Fun and easy to draw, I found out, when I made one that had a tentacle wrapping around the "N"and curious button eyes for shoppers of all ages to have a giggle at.

What You'll Need:


  • Canvas bag 
  • A print fabric, and another plain one- small pieces will do.
  • Double sided interfacing
  • Iron
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery thread and needle
  • Sewing machine 
  • Buttons for the eyes



The final tote.
.
Market-ready!


1.  The raw materials, fabric, double-sided interfacing, canvas bag.

1.  Back the fabric with double-sided interfacing by ironing on a low setting.

2.  Freehand or trace from a print out a jolly little octopus on back of the interfacing.  I found inspiration on the Papersource website.  Remember, he will be backwards when appliqued.

3.  Cut out your octopus.  Cut out a letter too.  You can either freehand the letter, or blow one up in a Word doc and trace it.


4.  Hand stitch the letter, and machine stitch the octopus to the canvas.  Hand sew button eyes on and you're set!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frenchy Rat Ears Halloween Costume

Fortune Cookie Costume

Phoebe and Rob's Sign