Happy Holidays! I made this winter wonderland for the UCLA Family Commons window, and it was the most fun I've had doing display in a long time! Scrap ribbon, felt, buttons, shrunken old sweaters, sequins, and odds and ends...oh my! What a great excuse to go digging through all the little bits I've squirreled away all these years. I'm so glad I'm such a pack rat. I found awesome trim that I didn't even know I had (made of wood bits and beads... see bottom right blue house). The houses are made of cardboard templates that I found online. I cut the roofs out of wood (with a hack saw) and stained them with a rag, then cut a paper template of the front of the house that just wrapped a little around the back (since the back is unseen), and used that as a guide to cut the sweaters the correct size. (I didn't want to waste my precious shrunken sweaters on the back that wouldn't show...I mean, duh!). All the trim is hot glued in place. The buttons I sewed because when it comes to little details I think people actually notice the personal touch, like thread in the button holes.
As for the snowflakes, I sewed them together with a sewing machine. It's important to use a machine that has a top-loading thimble when sewing paper so that it doesn't get jammed. It doesn't take too long once the snowflakes are cut out- there are 20 on a strand, and about 20 strands total, so it took many many snowflakes- but only took a few hours to sew them together. The window decals are from the Winter Wonderland Cartridge cut with my Cricut. This machine is so key for all the window decals!
Spider webs lined a dark hallway, gummy spiders dangled from the web in strategic places and plastic cockroaches were strewn across the floor. I found this Hillary Clinton mask at the 99 cents store, stuck it on a pole, added some cardboard tubes for shape, and draped fabric around it to form a body.
Death by reading is what happened to this poor old soul! It's hard to see his bulging glow in the dark eyes. Again, I used a rubber mask and a head form on top of bags of fabric.
Three styrofoam balls attached by toothpicks where draped with fabric to make ghosts. I hung them by fishing line by wrapping the line around the center of the round ball, taping it in place, then running the fishing line through the top of the fabric "head" of the ghost.
See the spooky ghosts on the left! I left the ladder up and made it a feature. The best thing about the haunted house was the table scape that had lots of candles, dry ice in the glasses, and cobwebs and spiders all over it. I forgot to take a picture- still kicking myself!