Incognito

The Incognito art gala was one of the more memorable events I've attended in a long time.  Even though I'm on a super-tight budget with the kids and only working part time I somehow, during the event, managed to catch art fever and purchase five beautiful works of art. Er, well, four beautiful ones anyway. One of them, Grippy chose, and I'm still not so sure...Anyway, the event. Great set-up.  In a single room at Bergamot Station, 600 works of art are put on display. Each of them 8x10", in rows all around the museum with numbers below them and signed on the back so you have no idea who the artist is.  They are all priced at $350.00.  There are quite a few known artists in the show, museum faves Ed Ruscha and John Baldessari being among the most famous of the artists in the show...point is you just have no idea whose art you are looking at, which is suppose to make you follow your heart and buy what you would like to see on your wall, not just buy someone famous' work of art for the sake of the name.  Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from trying to sniff out the luminaries of the art world.  Who wouldn't be proud to own their very own Ruscha?  Everyone's trying to grab a big name from the onslaught of anonymous art and it turns out, with Grippy's help, I just happened to catch a couple of them. Swinging by on the second day I nabbed an unclaimed original print by Devendra Banhart, who happens to be one of my favorite folk singers and a great artist in his own right! And look what else I found...
Alejandra Artigas "Have I Found a New Fragility?"

Devendra Banhart Untitled

Eva Hyam Untitled

Alexander Kroll

Alejandro Artigas, Alexander Kroll,  and Eva Hyam are the other lesser known artists which made me open my wallet.  There was a second day too, the Incognito 2nd chance sale the day after, to which I brought both kids.  I let Grippy chose one piece.  About that...

He tried to make me get him three or four which I had to narrow down to one, it was between a turtle that was drawn around a cloud and a bunch of shapes, including a circle which glowed in the dark.  I chose that one so we could go into the closet with it and watch it glow- turns out it is an Eddie Ruscha!  Ed's son Eddie...which makes me the very proud owner of my very own Ruscha!

Jr....
Eddie Ruscha

Comments

Patches said…
I love Grippy's choice. Two lucky days of art for you. How long is the sale going on? We were just talking about making a journey to Bergamot.
Sonya Nimri said…
Totally lucky. Thank you! I had my art framed and I am so happy with them all! The sale was only a two day sale. You'll have to come down next year for the event. It's totally worth the trek. Super exciting.

Popular posts from this blog

Frenchy Rat Ears Halloween Costume

Fortune Cookie Costume

Phoebe and Rob's Sign