Macaron Magnet


Macaron Magnet vs. the real thing






 Everywhere I went in Paris there were lineups for the melt-in your mouth desserts invented by Pierre Desfontaines (grandson of Louis Ernest Laduree) at the beginning of the 20th century.  There was even a song on the radio called "Ca M'enerve" that complained about said lineups at Laduree.  Of course, I had to see what all the fuss was about.  Macarons are French desserts made of a delicate almond paste and sugar shell filled with ganache, usually butter or cream based, but sometimes jelly or caramel as well.  They look like little hamburgers.  They are pricey, ranging from 1.5 euros to 2.5 euros each (about $3).  Laduree, the most famous of the macaron toting patisseries, is located conveniently (and dangerously, I might add), on the very street where I was staying.  There, I found exotic flavors such as licorice, violet black currant, orange blossom, and their two most popular flavors- caramel and rose.  Up the street was Gerard Mulot, another famed patisserie, with even more daring flavors including ginger-pineapple and sage, tomato-poppyseed; bright yellows, creamy browns, deep plums, and rich cranberry colors filled the shelves in every flavor imaginable.  Even McDonalds got in on the macaron action with it's version the McMacaron served in it's McCafe.  I tried one in pistachio which was totally disgusting- freezer burnt and stale, but I had to give it a shot.  Then, my friend from high school, Alexis, brought me to Art Macaron on Boulevard Monparnasse, a totally different experience-  heavier and creamier with more filling yet still with a light as air shell.  You really only needed one to feel totally satisfied.  In the end, I'm not sure which was my favorite. I might need more time to research the subject.  I'll keep researching here in Venice.  With such fine macaron establishments as Jin Patisserie right around the corner, it won't be hard!

Macaron Magnets

What You'll Need:

  • Hot glue gun
  • Crayola Model Magic
  • Acrylic paints 
  • Brush
  • Lightweight spackle
  • Magnets                                                       
  • Directions:
  1. Make the macaron shells out of model magic.  Work quickly to form balls, then flatten into shells because Model Magic sets up really quickly- (within 10-15 minutes).  They will look like little sugar cookies at this stage.  
  2.  Wait for the shells to dry, then slather one side with the spackle.  Add the other shell to make a macaron.  Let dry over night.
  3. Paint shells and spackle with acrylic paints.  Let dry for 1 hour.  
  4. Hot-glue magnets to the back.  Voila!

Comments

sanam said…
when i was a child, i always love the ones my grandmother would buy from patisserie rohr in cannes. i really loved these little desserts.
Madame Meow said…
That's totally adorable. So, did you bring me back any? ;o)
Sonya Nimri said…
Sanam! I'd never heard of macarons until the 90's! I thought they were the coconut kind before. Madame Meow! Next time I go to DC I will bring you some, promise!
Heather said…
Better yet, instead of slathering on the spackle, put it in a pastry bag and pipe it onto the center of one shell before pressing another on top. I find you get a more authentic filling effect. Love this idea, though - thanks for an adorable gift idea to give to me macaron-obsessed pals! :) Only problem - they make me hungry! lol

Popular posts from this blog

Frenchy Rat Ears Halloween Costume

Fortune Cookie Costume

Phoebe and Rob's Sign