Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rag Bowls

My students in my UCLA Family Commons class made these bowls out of tissue paper, lace, and various scrap fabrics. Dip shreds various materials measuring .5 inches x 2-3 inches long  into Mod Podge.   Overlap multiple layers (the more the thicker the final bowl) over a smooth surfaced bowl.  After a couple days, the new bowls just peeled off of the original ones!  Pretty and easy (although very messy!)  

Thursday, January 13, 2011

San Diego Hat Co. Pennant Flags and Play Tent

I made 31 flags total which ended up making a 35 foot long stretch.

I made these projects for a San Diego Hat Company catalog photo shoot.  The fabrics were mostly mens pj shirts from Goodwill that were cut up into triangles and patches for the tent.  If there was more turn-around time, I think I would have washed them, because honestly from the way they smelled, I think someone died in a couple of them. 
Pattern for the pennant flags and 1/2 inch cotton bias tape I zig-zag stitched the top of the flags to every six inches.  The sides and top were turned under and zig-zag stitched.

The tent was just one long piece of fabric backed by two different patterned fabrics.  I sewed patches to the outer piece of fabric- a natural cotton muslin that measured 6 yards.  The edges were turned over twice and straight stitched.

My little star posing in a San Diego Hat.  He was such a good little model.